I usually avoid anything that looks remotely like a chain letter. I spent many wasted hours writing those in my youth; I’m still waiting for the replies from the 500 other letter writers that were promised to me. I’m not superstitious so I don’t fear the consequences of not passing these things on; I often walk under ladders to show my kids it’s all nonsense and I lived many unscathed years at house number 13. When I was nominated by Rachel at Ten Minutes Spare to share the 50 things that make me happy I felt rather differently. Suddenly I was ripping down the curtains in the bedroom, making dungarees for the kids and singing ‘My favourite things’ in a very loud voice. I’m generally a very happy person and saw an opportunity to analyse and share what gives me that lovely inner contented glow that often washes over me.
This feels like a very personal post and I’ve some hesitation in pressing the ‘publish’ button but here goes.
Here are my 50 things that make me happy in a totally random order:
1) A cup of tea.
2) The feel of clean sheets as you slip into bed.
3) Hearing my children belly laugh.
4) The first sip of chilled white wine.
6) Singing and dancing in the kitchen with my daughter.
7) A freshly hoovered house.
8) Family roast dinners on a Sunday.
9) The first snowdrops.
10) A long soak in the bath.
11) Planning a family holiday.
12) Making lists.
13) Crossing things off lists.
14) Finding the little ‘I love you’ notes my daughter leaves around the house for me.
16) When my children help each other with a task.
18) Seeing my daughter lose herself in a dance.
19) When someone leaves a nice comment on my blog.
20) Being able to return favours to my friends; in fact ……..
21) My friends.
22) When the kids do completely random imaginative things.
23) My village.
24) A full fruit bowl.
25) When I’m making tea and my son says, “Can I help you Mum?”
27) Just thinking about my husband.
28) Seeing blue sky through the skylight in the morning.
29) Running and ….
30) …..helping others to run.
32) When my Dad comes to stay.
32) Ballet; doing and watching.
33) Long train journeys on my own.
35) Walking across the fields with my dog.
36) The smell of the sea.
37) Crunchy frosty ground underfoot.
38) Really really good food.
39) Making pancakes on a Sunday morning.
40) A night away with my hubby.
41) Catching up with very old dear friends.
42) When the children are proud of themselves.
44) When I make a positive difference to a patient’s life.
45) Chocolate and cake.
46) Gurgling rivers and streams.
48) A really really good haircut.
49) When the plane lands.
50) Life and all it throws at me.
These are some of the things that make me smile. I’d love you to share yours. I’m not going to nominate anyone in particular but if you’d like to take on the challenge then leave me a message in the comments below and let’s ‘spread a little happiness’!